Looking for That's Loverly Photography? Link: thatsloverly.com

Thursday, September 9, 2010

21 weeks… already? Really?

Wow. It’s so hard to believe we’ve rounded the half-way point. It’s been a few weeks since I’ve posted and there are a number of reasons. I’ve had a lot of personal stuff going on and have been digesting some things God’s been doing in my life and heart. I’ve wanted to write about it but I haven’t figured out how to share some of those lessons without getting too personal. So. It’s been a while.

Ultrasound!

But, back to the baby! This morning we went in for our 21-week ultrasound. Most of our appointments are happening a little behind schedule since we waited till 8 weeks to get the first ultrasound done. Therefore, the big ultrasound normally done around 17-18 weeks was done today. We were with the tech for 20-25 minutes and she took a bunch of photos and measurements. We were very vocal about not wanting to know the gender of the baby so she was super careful not to reveal anything to us either on the screen or in her comments.

It was amazing to see the spine’s growth. The baby was chilling out – hand behind his (her?) head, crossed knees and feet – the tech kept jiggling my belly to get him to move around so she could get a look at some of the important organs. But? No movement for my kiddo. I really hope that chilled-out, laid-back attitude continues when she gets here – maybe I’ll get some sleep too!

The baby weighs about 12 ounces (how can they even tell that? I’m perplexed at that!). The tech observed that the femur lengths were rather long – perhaps we’ll have a baby following in his Uncle Jim and cousin Kathryn’s footsteps?

Pregnancy Symptoms

I’ve been having a great deal of pain in my right side. Strangely, I’ve read a lot about round ligament pain but hadn’t read an accurate analysis of what it actually feels like. Yet, after talking to lots of friends (and the NP at my doc’s office today) I confirmed the horrible ovarian-cyst-like pain in my right side is absolutely due to this mysterious ligament pain. Glad to have it diagnosed even if it does still hurt like heck!

I’ve been craving fruit lately. I bring tons of apples to work every day and love nectarines and plums right now while they’re nice and juicy. Grapes have been a big hit, too, but I’m trying to stick with organic for all these fruits and it’s hard to find grapes affordably. I get some yummy organic fruit strips from Target that I keep in my desk at work. My students have gotten used to me eating some crazy stuff while I’m teaching them Algebra. I often write on the board using one hand and hold a half-eaten yogurt cup in the other.

I will say, this baby may be chilled out, but when he does move around it’s usually by jamming an extremity directly into my bladder. I’m certainly running to the restroom every 90 minutes or so, which makes for a frustrating morning at work!

Nursery Preparations

Oh sheesh. We haven’t made much progress here. About 6 weeks ago Bronce spent a day scraping the popcorn off the nursery ceilings and they’re nicely smooth. We haven’t painted them back to white though. We did buy paint for the walls – a soft Driftwood gray out of the new Martha Stewart line at Home Depot. We’re in the process of updating a few different rooms – we’ve repainted the upstairs guest room and have new furniture (gifted from family) for that room. The den and kitchen will also be repainted soon (possibly this weekend?). So with those four rooms on the landscape we’re trying to plan for quite a few different styles and color schemes at one time – a little overwhelming. The common colors in all plans are orange and teal/turquoise.

Still no decisions on a crib… or a glider. I also have just barely begun to work on the dresser for that room. Ack! So much to do!…

No comments: