Looking for That's Loverly Photography? Link: thatsloverly.com

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

13 Weeks

It’s hard to believe I’ve known that I was pregnant for two months now. I think I’m officially in my 2nd trimester now, though I don’t really feel any different. I have some low-level nausea issues but no constant problems like before. Here’s a snapshot of how big the baby is now:

peach

Baby's now the size of a peach!
Your fetus is forming teeth and vocal cords...savor this,
their nonfunctional phase. Baby is approaching normal proportions, with his head now only one third the size of his body. And intestines are in the process of moving from the umbilical cord to baby's tummy -- much more convenient.

 

I’m sorta fascinated by the idea that prior to this week the umbilical cord housed the intestines. How on earth does that work?! Anyway, sounds like the kid is looking more like a normal baby which is always good!

Body Changes…

I’m starting to show… just this bloated belly that looks like I over-ate at my last meal. I’ve felt that way for a while, but I’m finally at the point where I can’t suck my tummy back in so I guess that’s the baby peeking his way out.

My weight is still low – depending on the day I fluctuate between 4 and 6 pounds under my pre-pregnancy weight. I’m eating like crazy though – my favorite restaurant/meal is currently Sam & Andys. For those of you non-natives, it’s a burger place that’s been in Knoxville since 1946. They make incredible juicy, drippy, yummy burgers and to-die-for onion rings. I made Bronce take me there last night and I think that was my third visit in the last 2 weeks. Good stuff!

Ultrasound Pictures… finally!

We had a doctor’s appointment last week and got another ultrasound picture. I got my scanner working, so I’ll post the original ultrasound and the latest.

First Ultrasound: 8 weeks, 6 days

2010 06.11 US1

I love that the ultrasound tech labeled the baby as “BABY” – just in case we were confused. :) We refer to this as the “teddy bear” picture, because that’s what the kid looks like to us. We were able to clearly see the heartbeat which was a cool moment.

Ultrasound: 12 weeks, 2 days

2010 07.08 US1

This picture was much clearer on the screen than it came out. The baby was wiggling all over the place and we saw him pull his legs in to a tight fetal position and then kick them out again. We also saw the heartbeat clearly (though didn’t hear it or get the actual rate). The baby definitely looks more normal now – you can see the mouth clearly and the white just on the edge of the lips is the fingers of the left hand. She wiggled the fingers at us for a little bit and we got to see the whole hand at one point. We got another picture that showed the spine, too, and everything looks awesome and healthy!

Health Update

Things were good at my last appointment but I did get a bummer diagnosis. Doc said I have Hypothyroidism and that’s it’s crucially important to take some meds. No big deal, we’ll do more tests after I give birth to see if this was a pregnancy-induced problem or something I need to keep medicating post-baby.

Otherwise… all is good! I’m mentally working on the nursery at this point and trying to pull together some final details before I start painting and purchasing.

No comments: